Hey there crafters! I’ve been away from here for a little while now as I’ve been busy setting up home in my new house with my boyfriend. Its super lovely now that we’re all settled in, and I even have my very own craft room – heaven! I’ve built up lots of inspiration over the past couple of weeks, so today I decided to try something a little different.
I’ve never tried Decoupage before as its just never appealed to me, but I recently saw some decoupage ideas in my Card Making & Paper Craft magazine (highly recommend this mag btw!) and decided to give it ago! I chose to decoupage an old wooden clothes hanger, but you can pretty much decorate anything you like using this method which is what makes it so fun – the possibilities really are endless!
What you’ll need:
- Clothes hanger (or chosen object to decorate)
- PVA Glue
- Decoupage paper
- Paint brush (or an old make-up brush)
Five Easy Steps:
- Chose what you want to decorate – it can literally be anything from a dining chair to a fruit bowl!
- Tear your decoupage paper up into small and medium sizes – judge size by the object you are covering but make sure you have some small bits handy to fill in those tiny gaps you’ll find as you go along.
- Cover some of the surface area with glue and stick down your paper, then apply glue over the top of the paper – this will leave a nice shine when its dry. Smooth the paper from the centre to the edges as you go.
- Repeat this process over your object until its covered, making sure you overlap your paper so no gaps are left.
- Leave your object to dry for several hours!
- If you are using a wooden object make sure you give it a quick sand down before getting started, this will help the paper to stick better!
- If your decorating something thats a bit of an awkward shape you might need to do it in stages so you have a dry bit to hold on to!
- If you’re planning to give your item to someone as a gift why not add a little bit of ribbon to it to make it extra stylish!
- Remember to protect your desk – I used an old carrier bag to cover my desk. I wouldn’t recommend using newspaper as it might stick to your object!
I really enjoyed trying decoupage and I’ll definitely be doing it again soon, I hope you feel inspired to try something a little different this week too!